THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, 27 March 2012

A summer reading list

Continuing with the theme of 'things I really like at the moment', I thought I would share my summer reading list with you guys. Despite all the overtime that's going on, I do spend at least one day a week lounging in my back garden reading (when the weather is as good as it is lately). Lately I have been basking in the sunshine like a lizard (I was alarmed the other day by my own lily-white rear view, which turned out to be not so much elegant porcelain as pasty jellyfish, so decided that perhaps a little bit of vitamin D might be in order...), so I have been reading a lot of new books and rediscovering some old favourites.

  1. Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite (it's a cliche, but that's partly why I love it. Perhaps a book about pale brooding Gothy vampires is a slightly odd thing to read on sunny days, but never mind.)
  2. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris (the True Blood books are, in my opinion, the perfect summer reading for the darkly-inclined vampire fan.)
  3. Must Love Black by Kelly McClymer (looks amusing, sweet and fun!)
  4. It by Stephen King (I can brave re-reading this in broad daylight. I hope.)
  5. Dead is the New Black by Marlene Perez
  6. Gasoline by Dame Darcy
  7. Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz (yes, more vampire fluff.)
  8. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (it's one of my favourite books of all time.)
  9. Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
  10. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson
  11. The Woman in Black by Susan Hill (the more I read it the more I love it.)
  12. The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls by Emilie Autumn
  13. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
  14. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
  15. The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger (ahem...)
What books do you like to read in the summer months? What are you reading right now and what all-time favourites do you recommend?

15 comments:

Kitty Lovett; The Unadulterated Cat said...

New Terry Pratchett comes out in, like, June.

Just sayin'.

Chloris said...

I just finished reading The Hunger Games trilogy. It was quite enjoyable, and an easy read too. At first I had a lot of trouble accepting the world, because it's supposed to be post-apocalyptic North America. I usually have trouble with post-apocalyptic stuff because I think too literally and get all nitpicky about things. So I had to pretend it was just a science fiction novel in some other reality. After that, it was great!

I'm going to try to write my own stories this summer instead of reading them. Will I succeed?...probably not.

Bored_Homeschooler said...

Anansi Boys is a great book, you won't regret reading that one....

Not sure if you've read "Fathom" by Cherie Preist before, but that's a pretty good book.(Not to mention,pretty Neil Gaiman-esqe). In fact,you should read everything by Cherie Preist if you have not already done so.
Mortal Engines By Philip Reeve is a really good steampunk novel,and a VERY easy read.
Batman:The Killing Joke by Alan Moore is an interesting take on batman,and worth your time.
Also,the Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite books I've read this year was Winter by Keven Newson.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11517874-winter

OddGhoulOut said...

Right now, I'm working on Tess of The D'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy. The Vampire Kisses series are very cute and good for summer reading, in my opinion.

Amanda J said...

I have just finished Lost Souls, and have now started Villette by Charlotte Bronte. Not sure if you've already read Jane Eyre, but it's gorgeous. Woman in Black is on my to-read list also. Some good choices there Amy!

Amanda J said...

Ah. Just re-read that Jane Eyre is one of your favourites, so ignore my 'not sure if you've read this' line. Blame it on the unseasonal sunshine that's clearly gone to my head....

LovleAnjel said...

I love Tanith Lee, I'll usually re-read Biting the Sun and The Silver Metal Lover. I also love Mary Roach, my favorite book of hers is Stiff: the Curious Lives of Human Cadavers.

Spooky Vegan said...

Ooooh awesome list!

I don't care what anyone says...Poppy Z. Brite's "gothy" books are pure perfection!

I'm currently reading "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova and it is quite intriguing!

Happy reading!

Anonymous said...

Miss Peregrine's is absolutely excellent. And if you enjoy it, I'd also recommend The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

Smashed Doll said...

Thanks for some book recomendations, they have joined the ever growing list of books I must read.
I've just started Bram Stokers Mystery of the sea. It's about Seers. So far so good though I doubt it will take the place in my heart for Dracula.

Kala Saew said...

edgar allan poe, jane austen, shakespeare, chris priestly, samuel taylor coleridge, charlotte bronte, j.r.r tolkien, bram stoker, emily bronte, stephen king, mary shelley, oscar wilde, wilkie collins, charles dickens, nathaniel hawthorne, h.g wells, guy de maupassant, katy towell, fontaine, arthur conan doyle, lord byron, terry pratchett, neil gaiman, grimm brothers, alexander dumas, sir walter scott...etc.

Stefanie said...

I've just finished Crescendo the sequel to Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick which I really enjoyed and I'm currently reading Sweetly by Jackson Pearce a modern retelling of Hansel and Gretel where the kids are Ansel and Gretchen whose sister (Gretchen's twin) was stolen by what they think was a witch.

Amy Asphodel said...

I love Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian, I thought it was great. :-D

The Night Circus is on my Amazon wishlist.

Sweetly sounds great and I haven't heard of Mary Roach but am definitely intrigued! :-)

Phoenix said...

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin (the series Game of Thrones is based on). SO GOOD. I have so many books on my to read list! Mine will be for winter though. After that summer that wasn't really a summer *sob*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...