THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Gang attack mum for 'looking Goth'

32-year-old Gena Willenburg has dyed black hair and piercings, but does not identify as Goth. Mother to a six-year-old boy, she moved to Edinburgh, Scotland from her native Texas last year. Recently she and a friend, who had dyed blue hair but also was not a Goth, had gone to visit her sister-in-law in Viewcraig Gardens, Dumbiedykes, when they were set upon by a group in their mid-to-late teens.

The gang - mostly boys and one girl - began hurling abuse at the two women, calling them 'fucking Goths' and threatening to 'kick their heads in'. Understandably the pair felt intimidated but felt their best option was to put their heads down and keep walking.

The group of yobs then set upon the young women, hitting Gena in the back of the head with a bottle and punching and kicking her to the ground. The girl in the group pulled Gena's head back by the hair so that the boys could kick her in the face. Gena's friend bravely stepped in to stop the thugs stamping on the young mother, and the teens turned on her too.

Luckily, Gena's sister-in-law came out of her house and began shouting at the gang - the police were called, and Gena and her friend were taken to hospital for treatment. The friend needed stitches for a split lip, and Gena had to have her nose reset and stitches in her eye.

Gena Willenberg after the attack
Source
Gena told a local newspaper, "I didn’t understand it because I’m not a goth. I’m completely shocked. It’s one of the worst things I’ve ever had to deal with in my life and I just had no idea that people could be so cruel to complete strangers just because of the way they look.”

Police are appealing for witnesses.

17 comments:

Abigail said...

Unbelievable!!! :/

Compliment to your last post though, I love the way you describe our subculture <3

†Niesje7002† said...

Gosh, that's just terrible! =/

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one who finds the most disturbing part of this story is her response, "I didn't understand it because I'm not goth."? Does she think this sort of thing would be okay if she were?

Although I agree one should be able to dress how they like, this just reinforces the fact we have to be aware of our environment, and the sentiment of the community we're in when deciding what to wear. Perhaps this sort of thing is why some parents aren't keen on their kids being goth.

Bored_Homeschooler said...

I'm so sick of hearing about stuff such as this. It's horrible.

Corin said...

Seems like these incidents are getting more frequent. :/ I've never read anything similar to this in the Dutch newspapers, though they tried to ban gothic clothing at a school in Belgium a while back. That's not nearly as bad as violence against goths though. How terrible. I don't understand this at all. :(

http://gloomyfashion.blogspot.com/

Shattered said...

This is so highly upsetting. Did nobody learn anything from Sophie?

Julietslace said...

I agree with Anon, what the fuck with that quote? Side eyeing her.

Alexandriaweb said...

Holy crap, I'm really surprised that happened in Edinburgh :(

Dismantlynn said...

I don't like the whole "I didn't understand it because I'm not goth" comment. I hope it was just bad wording on her part. Either way no one deserves to be attacked for how thy look.

Nightwind said...

I totally agree with Anonymous about the lady's statement. She probably didn't mean it, but she made it sound as if beating up Goths is okay.

That said, I really don't understand what's wrong with people and why some feel the need to hurt others whom they don't understand or even know.

Anonymous said...

Also side-eyeing the lady's statement, but she was just attacked so I'll chalk it up to bad wording.

Either way, holy crap what is going on?!?! These attacks seem to be on the rise, and I really don't understand why.

linnea-maria said...

That hit with the bottle could have killed her. I wish schools could inform their pupils what happens to a person if you do this or that. They see movies and games where people rise after a hit with a kick in their face and so on.

This kind of unprovoked violence is increasing I think, and it's sad.

kakuidori said...

sad. sadly all of those violent attacks seem to get more often and i am afraid of the day when some goth will be attacked like this around here. i mean we often get bad comments but they are not dangerous O_O
i also hope she didnt mean that comment the way it sounds like.

Anonymous said...

The Sophie Lancaster foundation has just put up this on their website with more from Gena: http://t.co/LRPg2fPf

I suspect the comment was just bad wording.

It's worrying that this violence is increasing.

Tenebris In Lux said...

Not again ..

Well, I suppose this never really ends >_<

Marmalade Marionette said...

Oh god, the "Lancaster Effect" starts again . . .

Anonymous said...

Does this always happen in England? O.o it must happens somewhere else. Dude If I was the one who got attacked I would of kicked their little butts but not everyone is like me. Some people are just so intolerable -_-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...