THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, 19 April 2012

Things I Love Thursday: a slightly rambly edition

  1. Confidence. You guys probably noticed, what with my faffing around with blog titles and a sudden personal style crisis, that my self-confidence took a couple of hits earlier this year. I don't know what changed, but recently I felt as though something in my head 'clicked' back to where it should be, and suddenly I felt like myself again. :-) It was such a relief. I'd gone through a few weeks of keeping my head down and trying to blend in; I'm sure my non-Goth friends enjoyed the novelty of spending time with an Amy who didn't feel the need to wear silly hats and bloomers to the pub, but dressing a different way because you choose to is one thing, and doing it because you feel too low-self-esteem-y to have people staring at you for how you dress is something else entirely. Part of the problem was an attack of the body image blues, which led to all sorts of experiments with fake tan, natural make-up and even buying books by Gok Wan. I don't regret these experiments because playing with make-up is never the end of the world and it was interesting to be reminded what I look like under all the dark eyeshadow, but I feel kind of sad that I let myself feel pressured and get down on myself. Memo to self: other people will get down on you enough. Don't do it to yourself. Plus, life is really, really, too short to fuss about the size of your behind when you're a healthy weight. And too short to let other people's stupid opinions have any effect on how you dress, act or live your life.
  2. Having Gothy friends to do things with. I love my non-Goth friends to death (and beyond), but I also like spending time with people who don't blink and edge away when you mention your long-held desire to purchase a coffin. I appreciate my non-Goth friends' willingness, however reluctant, to sit through Nightmare Before Christmas with me EVERY Christmas Eve and not chastising me for inappropriately frilly outfits or impractical shoes, BUT it's also nice to have someone else who actually wants to picnic in the cemetery rather than requiring puppy dog eyes and a chocolate bribe.
  3. Impractical nails. My job involves much sticker-scraping, breaking down of boxes and other little chores that don't do much for the state of my fingernails. I am finally, finally managing to get them to grow to a decent length (with a little help from Sally Hansen's nail strengthener) and am looking forward to getting them long enough to file into pointy little claws. (Yes, I really am that cliched. Didn't the above paragraph give it away?) I also love all the hugely over-decorated false nails you can get on Etsy. Subtle? Me? I don't think so...
  4. Decorating! My room clearance is beginning to get somewhere - at last! Over the next couple weeks I intend to begin buying pretty things like bat wall decals and purple paint. <3
  5. Hilarious co-workers. Nothing makes a day go faster than the work experience kid's side-splitting stories. (I know you're reading this, Zac...) The phrase 'I'll be in the friend zone forever!!!' had me doubling up with laughter today, but you probably had to be there...
Have a random picture I just found on my phone.


11 comments:

x-akurei said...

There must be nothing as mad as body-confidence issues leading to all sorts of strange new looks... I now own five chequered shirts for the same reason ._. But I like them enough so I suppose that's okay.

V said...

Aw Amy your hair looks pretty! Xxx :)

Phoenix said...

Good to hear your head's 'clicked' back. :D Low self-esteem/identity crisis phases suck - I get them every so often. I always try to tell myself not to give a flying fuck what other people think; I do things for ME, not other people. It's not really an instant quick fix, but it helps to develop a better relationship with yourself I guess.
Cute hair! ^^

Kitty Lovett; The Unadulterated Cat said...

I'm glad you feel better, pudding. I love you no matter what! :D Come to Australia quickly so we can have picnics and sit around saying "yes, quite, hmmm, indeed!" and what not.

Nightwind said...

I found it somewhat interesting that, even as you were going through your confidence crises, many of your posts still had something to do with Goth subculture. I want to say though, that it's perfectly natural and probably a good idea to compromise your style a bit depending upon the people you're going to be with. I'm suggesting compromise though, not a total forsaking.

Most of my friends are non goth; and while I don't mind compromising my style somewhat in order to accommodate their comfort, I still maintain some trappings of Goth style. The important thing is that we do love our friends. Making them uncomfortable serves no purpose.

It's funny though, because we have a very popular farmer's market that takes place every Saturday during the warmer months on our town square. I generally go because it's a very social affair--not to mention the availability of fresh, locally grown food.

Anyway, due to the nature of the affair, I dress more moderately than I generally do. Imagine how I felt when all of a sudden I bumped into one of my few Goth friends who had come down from the closest city to the north. Of course, she was wearing her Cannibal Corpse T-shirt, a multiple skull necklace and was otherwise, endowed in her full Gothic glory. Me? I was embarrassed.

Bane said...

I can relate! I went through a very painful time in my life, and it caused me to "lose myself." I wore baby pink and brown and beige (beige?!!) for a while. Luckily, it was just a phase. :)

I'm glad that you're feeling like yourself again.

Daniel_8964 said...

I agree with 1,2 and 5. I have mainly non Goth friends and I love them and they like me for who I am. I also like having laughs with co workers or other nice people and being myself :)

MissGracie said...

I'm glad you're feeling better Amy, and I can't wait to see the new room decoration, i hope you'll post some pictures. :)

Lady Lovescraft said...

This made me smile :3

Edna-X! said...

If I may, allow me to share with you how I apply my make up.
What I do is I apply black eye shadow (Raven by Manic Panic) to both my upper eye lids. I leave my lower ones bare. Then with what ever is left on the little brush, I dab a tad (just one dab) under each lower eye lid and then I smear (or smudge, you could say) the eye shadow so it blends in giving my eyes a (what non-goths would call) tired look, or a "just came from beyond the dead" look (this I prefer!).
I find this to work for me. But some others may not like this look. I have a paler pallor (and very fair skin) than most people, so if you (or anyone reading this) wishes to try this I recommend a paler pallor.

Ms. Lou said...

I'm glad you're felling better! I know how easy it can be to let other people's criticism get on my hard and then I start beating myself up. I'm happy you're reeling like yourself again. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...