THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 23 May 2012

World Goth Day media spotlight

Much to my surprise, this year the mainstream media (online, at least) has jumped all over the World Goth Day bandwagon. I think that if I have to type the words 'world goth day' many more times this week I might just explode, but for one last post on the topic I thought I'd link up some of the best and worst takes on the topic, brought to you by tabloids and online news sites galore.

  1. UK newspaper The Guardian seemingly couldn't get enough of the subject, putting together a Goth playlist (with links to an anti-Goth playlist for those who, one assumes, were appalled by the entire concept)...
  2. ...and a bit of snarkery and a few misconceptions about skin colour sprinkled in for good measure.
  3. ABC2 News took the opportunity to highlight the more serious side of the event, which was a pleasant surprise.
  4. Vice went Goth-hunting in London... with disappointing results.
  5. Time Out offers suggestions on how to celebrate the occasion.
  6. Spinner got esteemed Goth author Liisa Ladoceur (Enyclopedia Gothica) to rate a whole load of gloomy musicians from one to ten on a 'Goth scale'. I love this, actually.
  7. Miami New Times had a similar strategy by putting together their top ten creepy musicians.
  8. And the Huffington Post ran a poll for the sexiest Goths ever (although I'm not sure how, erm, Goth some of them actually are).
  9. KPCC wrote a short article... boasting two infamous episodes of Saturday Night Live's Goth Talk.
Well... that's it until next year. I wonder how much the event will have grown by then?

6 comments:

Caroline Carnivorous said...

I don't remember which paper it was, but I saw one featuring a picture of Marilyn Manson, calling him goth.. -.-
Can't these journalists do some simple research?

Daniel_8964 said...

These links were interesting to read and to find out the media connecting any music knowledge that's a part of the actual music scene like The Cure and Bauhaus etc.

Loupie said...

Some interesting articles.

Can't say I'm impressed with the NME's Ultimate goth playlist, found at the bottom of the last link. Ok, The Cure, Siouxie and Bauhaus so far so good, but Placebo, HIM and Cradle of Filth. Really?

Wonders what Epagnomenal Motif would make of that

Nightwind said...

"...there's nothing summer can throw at me that I can't handle."

Hmm...That's easy for you to say living in the U.K. Amy. Try coming here during the summer. We have ticks, chiggers, brown recluse and black widow spiders, rattlesnakes, copperheads, water moccasins, scorpions, alligators (about 100 miles south), high humidity, temperatures above 100 degrees F. and a burning sun that will help anyone, who stays in it for five minutes or more, understand just what happens to a vampire when he or she is exposed to sunlight.

That said, I'm glad you're enjoying the warm weather.

Amy Asphodel said...

Haha, take that as a UK-only comment then >.< I don't think I could deal with scorpions...

EpagomenalMotif said...

"Wonders what Epagnomenal Motif would make of that"

I do have some real problems with it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...