THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, 19 May 2012

World Goth Day! Suggestions for spooky types...

It's that time of year again, darklings - World Goth Day is almost upon us. :-D Unfortunately I have to work that day which crimps my plans a little, but I'm intending to get all dolled up for the workplace and then meet my friend Rosie straight after work for plans involving movies, make-up, music, booze, pizza and, probably, photos!

Source: Goth Day Facebook page
If you, like me, were disappointed to find that Goth clubs in your area had been a little lacklustre with their Goth Day events, or are too young to gain entry at your local black-tinged nightspot, fear not! I have a few suggestions:
  1. Host your own Goth night. Hide the silverware, lock away the breakables, make up some mix CDs and have your friends over for a night of dancing and devilry. A fine excuse to get dressed up to the nines.
  2. Have an online meet-up. If your main contact with other spooky types takes place online, why not set up a forum, Facebook group, MSN chat or Skype session.
  3. Treat yourself to a new pair of boots.
  4. Do something to fundraise for the Sophie Lancaster Foundation. It's a little late to organise a bake sale, but perhaps you could ask friends and neighbours to sponsor you for something. Perhaps a sponsored bike ride in some of your most opulent finery?
  5. Get your Goth maintenance on. Nails. Hair. Eyebrows. That whole suitcase full of clothes you have in the spare room that you keep intending to customise. Get to it!
  6. Two words: cemetery. Picnic. All right, so it's a cliche in motion. What's your point? If the weather's sunny, I can't think of a nicer way to spend the afternoon.
  7. Explore the spooky side of your town. Buy some of those guide books about local ghost stories, supernatural tales and haunted places. Find out if your area does guided ghost tours. Visit a local haunted pub or inn.
  8. Get nostalgic! Haul out those old snaps from the 80s / your babybat years, and, if you dare, put them online. Show us all your before and afters... ;-)
  9. Round up your friends and make your own spoof video to celebrate the date. Well, these guys did it...
  10. Have a photoshoot. Whether on your own or with friends, it's yet another chance to dress up, and gives you something pretty to look back on in a few years' time. Try your local woodland, cemetery, open fields or abandoned factory, but remember to leave it as you found it, and in the cemetery, please be respectful and don't trample on the gravestones.

11 comments:

Mack-Attack said...

That sounds so fun!

Alexandriaweb said...

I just don't see the point of World Goth Day.
Goth is for eternity, not just a random day in may, and surely if we're all going to get together and "get our Goth on" for one day as their propaganda seems to think we should this year it should be on Halloween?

[/someone who gets her Goth on EVERY day]

Have fun whatever you do anyway though.

May said...

The terrible thing Is I'm being sent to my grandmas for world goth day, she doesn't like goth one bit So I will have to be discreet about this.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could do everything on this list at once.... I am very tempted to have a picnic, but it would have to wait until the next day.... It can be a goth day after-the-date picnic. Ooh or hiking where Roz Williams' ashes were spread out. That would be nice :)....

Salieria said...

Haha, it's my birthday on May 22nd :D I think I will mix these two occasions and have a really gothic birthday. AND I will give myself a gift and buy a pair of wonderful goth shoes. I just can't wait :D

Amy Asphodel said...

Alexandriaweb - regarding Goth Day on Halloween, the offical site says, "ISN'T HALLOWEEN A BETTER TIME TO HAVE GOTH DAY? I suppose it is. As long as you want to share it with half the world who think it'll be cool to wear black for a day just so they can look 'spooky', and completely miss the point after you've gone to all that effort to look that good all year round."

Personally, I think it's nice to have the opportunity to celebrate this subculture. To use a really appalling analogy, mothers don't do what they do just one day a year but we still have Mother's Day. :-)

Nightwind said...

I'll certainly have the cemetery part down since I live at one and am surrounded by several.

VictorianAndroid said...

This year, I'm taking a school field trip to Cedar Point Amusement park on the 22nd. lol. Noting screams "Goth" like riding roller coasters under the boiling sun right? jk sigh... It's going to be another jeans and t-shirt day for me :(

Dani DeathBiscuit said...

Yay!! :3

Might hit the town ^_____^ and... buy some fruit or something... hehehehehe.

Anonymous said...

I just got home from Bat's Day-an annual convergence of goths & other "sppoky" subcultures upon Disneyland. It's actually alot of fun, and believe it or not, the mainstream masses are actually quite fascinated by us. I don't personally tend to go all out, as I have a 5-year-old (pushing a stroller, climbing in/out the rides, etc), but it's one of the few times a year she loves to get all decked out. Have a great time!

Daniel_8964 said...

1, 2, 5, 7, 9, 10 are the things I'd normally do. 3- I think I have plenty of boots at the moment. 4- I don't know how to set up a fundraising myself and how to give the money to, even I've done them before in a group. 6- I'm too socially awkward to do that. I like being myself, other I have social anxiety problems in my way. 8- I wasn't even born in the 80s and I was born in the 90's instead, haha. I wish I was at the Batcave back then.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...