THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, 25 June 2012

Front page news! Tattooed women seen in public!

Apologies for my recent absence, instead of deciding to take some time away from the internets as I sometimes do I simply had a very busy weekend. It was good though! <3

Just chillin' after work >.<
All the cool kids are wearing cats now, dontchaknow...

Has anyone else in the UK noticed the fuss our newspapers have been making about the ladies at Ascot showing their tattoos? The Daily Mail considered that a tattooed woman being seen in public (shock. horror.) was actually worthy of being front page news... not once, but twice. :-/ Tattooed women are not just in circuses nowadays, y'know...

Let's bear in mind that tattoos - and piercings - are not even mentioned in the dress regulations at this prestigious event (although a Mail columnist, Jenni Murray, exclaims that tattooed racegoers are 'defiantly flouting the rules' - woman, don't talk such rubbish), so why our tabloids are taking it upon themselves to presumptously highlight women who, for some STRANGE reason, don't feel that their body art should be covered when in public, I really have no idea.

A journalist in another publication took it a step further with the following comments:
From tumblr.
As Tumblr user Deathisforever commented on this pointless and rude piece, "This is incredibly offensive and discriminatory. I cannot believe this was printed in a paper in this day and age. If you replaced the subject of tattoos with weight, sex or race it’d be totally unacceptable to voice these views in national news."

Jenni Murray also wrote a piece for the Mail last Saturday entitled, "What is it about modern women and tattoos?" Sadly I can't find this article online, but my 'favourite' quote was, "I was saddened to see that even so seemingly confident and successful a young woman should feel the need to mutilate herself."

I find this attitude maddening. Does Ms. Murray also consider hair dye to be a mutilation of the natural form or is her condescension only reserved for things she cannot personally understand or appreciate, much like the journalist who wrote the snippet above?

Frankly, journalists and whoever else can discuss and disparage body modifications as much as they please, but it isn't going to deter people - of any gender - who wish to have them. I don't personally get on my high horse and complain about women who choose to have rhinoplasty or whatever because what other women do to their own bodies is none of my business and certainly not for me to be rude about in a national broadsheet.

If your opinion is that you don't like tattoos, OK, fair enough, but surprisingly there are people out there who a) don't share your views and b) sometimes get a little tired of being marginalised as 'trampy' or 'uneducated' in a national forum on the basis of a personal choice which has absolutely no relevance or in fact anything to do with anyone else.

When looking for snippets from these newspapers to share here, I did, however, also find this excellent article, which for me sums up my view on the entire subject very neatly in its final sentence: "The only difference between people like me with tattoos, and people like the Daily Mail readers quoted above, is that I won’t judge you for NOT having them."

Simply put, I could wander down the street berating others for scruffy beards, poor haircuts, wearing Crocs or anything else that doesn't appeal to my personal standards. But I don't, because (like Deathisforever) I was brought up to hold fast to the adage, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." OK, so this doesn't necessarily always apply in journalism, but surely it's appallingly tasteless behaviour to stand up and bash other women for what they choose to do with their own bodies.

You don't have to like it. You don't need to. Because it's not your body, and therefore, not your business.

23 comments:

Mack-Attack said...

Agreed!

ZeroNovember said...

I was thinking about this today as I came across a similar article in the Mirror from Saturday (a family member bought it, not me!)

You can read it here: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tony-parsons-on-tattoos-they-make-my-skin-906613

It's pretty vile and in the same vein as the Mail one. It basically says that tattoos are done purely for attention and no other reason; that we are blindly following celebrity and fashion! Because of course they are not a way of self expression or a celebration of our bodies!

Most of the comments on the article disagree strongly with him. It's purely done to get a rise out of people and it's crappy journalism.

Boots said...

I'd rather read the same dull news articles about a dog that makes its way home after a storm a thousand times than this rubbish.

Man, it's positively offensive, I really don't know what is going to restore my hope with the media at this point seeing this archaic close-minded approach toward tattoos. Not to mention the lovely dash of sexism thrown in for flavor.
Yum.

Amy Asphodel said...

ZeroNovember - yikes. What a puerile piece of 'journalism' that is. :-/ (And as a Mail reader I am certainly not in a position to judge anyone for buying the Mirror...)

Boots - hear, hear!

DarkAngelCase said...

Did you ever notice that it seems to be more okay for guys to have tattoos than for women? It's really just not that big of a deal, too bad people don't get it. xP

Sarah Silence said...

Totally weird, all I can guess is that this journalist had a slow news day and a short deadline.

As a journalism student myself, I'm constantly disappointed (and a little frightened), but the media. I'm sure there was something of more importance to the British people than that judgmental dribble.

Morticia Merle said...

I nominated you for the Leibster award! Check out the post on my blog!

http://live-love-goth.blogspot.com/2012/06/liebster-award.html

Cherry Divine said...

DON'T LIKE TATOOS. I THINK THEY SOUND VERY PAINFUL TO HAVE. MONKEY SEE, MONKEY DO. IF EVERYONE ELSE IS HAVING ONE. THEN I GOTTA HAVE ONE TOO. THAT'S THE ATTITUDE OF THIS MODERN WORLD TODAY. MANY PEOPLE OF THE MAINSTREAM CANNOT BE THEMSELVES. BUT IT ISN'T JUST IN THE MAINSTREAM. IT'S EVERYWHERE.

nimfvirti said...

Oh my, are you serious. I'm glad i don't read newspapers, at least I'm not paying for the wage of that so-called-journalist.

Sweet Nothings said...

OH please the 1940's ended 80 years ago. I also feel this is rather sexist, "but modern women are vying with white van man and builder bloke to have the biggest tattoos on the block. The author is a biggot.
EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT!! If everyone was the same we wouldn't be able to find our car in the carpark.

Anonymous said...

Well, it's nice to see that there are no tragedies, catastrophic events, an economic downturn, etc in your part of the world that the most thrilling story that merits the front page is this "fluff".

The ironic thing is, these stories typically backfire, and a whole wave of people, who otherwise would have taken no notice of these trends, all of a sudden start getting tattoos & piercings, or start dressing "weird". I'm sure this is the sort of thing that ignited "mall goths" and the like.

Twisted Princess said...

I think it's absolutely ridiculous how people can slander others for expressing themselves. I love tattoos. I think they're beautiful works of art. (Though I don't know if I'll get any myself) And aiming this at women in particular is even more offensive. *shakes head*
On a happier note, I nominated you for the Liebster Award :)

Siouxsiel said...

The articles are maddening. But I had no idea that there were professional female tennis players with ink...for some reason this makes me incredibly happy.

Edna-X! said...

Oh my goodness! Those poor women! Personally, I think women WITH tattoos are beautiful! I think it is a shame that mainstream society looks down at women that have their tattoos showing! Not all women who are tattooed are tramps, same goes for fishnet stockings! I wear fishnet stocks, am I a tramp? No! And will I become one when I get a tattoo? No!!
This reminds me of what my mother used to call tattoos: "tramp stamps", geez! I know how those women feel.

TheLadyRowenaSaew said...

And just before i read this my family were freaking out because a young bride on some wedding show had a small tattoo on the back of her neck. Gawd. Why? But i wish i had a picture of their faces when i told them that tattoos are awesome and that i've been planning my future tattoos for the past 4 years. But why can't people understand that they aren't in charge of our bodies and what we do with them? Why is it so offensive to get an extra piercing or add a piece of art to our skin?

AsylumAlice said...

It's ridiculous that people seem to think everyone should look the same. I think tattoos are lovely and their permanence even more so. I definitely want some!

Stefanie said...

That Mirror 'article' was hideous to read, I need brain bleach.

When I eventually have all the tattoos I want they will be charting my life, the ups and downs. Tattoos are only bad when done by bad artists, something I found out to my regret and when I have the money it is being covered by something more meaningful, the first of at least 2 pieces dedicated to my mum.

And as for what they look like when I'm 60, I don't actually care, they will be my history and that is all that matters. And as long as they are done by a decent artist they shouldn't change much anyway.

Daniel_8964 said...

This makes me feel sad and angry the fact, that someone who would even bother insulting on another lady's tattoo when it is none of their own business. Does it even cost anything to keep your opinion to yourself and to respect others? No, so then why does someone find any pleasure in this when it is just ignorant and prejudical? How sad are people are these days, seems like society is becoming more of a downfall these days. Tattoos to me are a varied choice of art and self expression for a individual's body, not a part of shame and disgrace. Unforunately there are people who are ignorant in anything which are the bad apples.

xKirstxBx said...

Hiya love! Randomly found your blog and great minds think alike, Ive got a similar post about Ascot here :

http://thestylekhaleesi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/tattoos-at-royal-ascot.html

totally ridiculous. I complained to the newspapers too but Ive yet to hear a reply xox

Anonymous said...

That paper's still living up to its nickname of 'Daily Fail' then...

Katherine :) said...

The oldest intact human found has tattoos? I'm pretty sure that is more interesting then some modern day person 'disgracing' the world with with her 'hideous' tattoos.

Emporium Gothica said...

Kind of reminds me of the way they used to talk about makeup in the old days. "Women wearing lipstick in public!!!"

perfectstorm said...

I would luv to get a tattoo, but i'm too much of a wussy-poo, henna is definetly my thing. Whats the deal with tattooed women?? i think shes pretty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...