THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Summer footwear for Goths, part 1

I had this reader request back in the depths of January, when in England only the brave and foolhardy would dare to bare in a pair of sandals. Of course, with a climate like we have, a Goth could feel quite comfortable sporting their favourite New Rock or Demonia boots year-round, on the whole. In fact, it was only this last couple of years when I began to realise that there were more options for Gothy footwear than simply boots, boots, and more boots.

For daywear and clubwear, if you don't live in a scorching climate, you may find that all you need for the summer months is a slightly more lightweight pair of boots. A pair of winklepickers with bat buckles or some cheap, plain black boots that you picked up at a high street store in the January sales, for example.

If, however, you'd like to think outside the box a little more, or simply want to show off your toe rings and break out the anklets, there is a surprising range of summer shoes available for even the spookiest fashionista.

Flip-flops (or thongs, call them what you will)
Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of these. I don't find them comfortable and for some reason I find a near-naked foot somewhat vulgar. But they are a very cheap option - shoppers in Britain can pick up black sparkly or bejewelled flip-flops for the princely sum of £2.50.

Those who are holidaying in tropical sunshine or who live in hot countries may like to invest a little more to pick up a suitably Gothy design of flip-flop. (Even Goth babies can get in on the act with these adorable pirate skull flip-flops from My Baby Rocks. D'awww!) In my humble opinion, Demonia do some of the best spooky sandals available, with everything from platforms to skulls and studs. Even their flip-flops have a high platform, a touch that I love. Sourpuss also have some great designs for men and women.

Source: Demonia
Sandals
I own two pairs of open-toed sandals; a plain black platform pair and a chunky-heeled, multi-buckled pair. The dilemma I often face with open-toed sandals is that I very rarely go bare-legged, usually preferring to wear tights, and I hate having a visible toe seam. Which is why sandals with a closed toe are better for me.
Me with bare toes... very rare!
For the more daring, sandals are available in a myriad of styles aimed at the darkly inclined. From the stiletto-heeled for evening wear to the simple for the Goth-about-town, and styles for those who just don't want to give up on their boots for the summer, like these, there's something for everyone.

Pin-up, burlesque and vintage-style shoe companies often boast some lovely sandal ranges too, just right to wear to garden parties, croquet games and other summery activities.

Spooky kids on a budget can scamper down their local high street, of course. A pair of plain black basic sandals won't break the bank and can always be customised by painting or glueing on details.

Canvas boots and shoes (baseball boots)
I know of Gothy types who roll their eyes at Converse-type boots and shoes, considering them the preserve of the mallgoth, but personally I love them. They're lightweight and comfortable, ideal for work and play, especially if like me you work in an environment where high heels and open toes are out of the question.

Lace-up canvas boots and shoes are available in a multitude of colours and designs, patterned with everything from stars to skulls to cobwebs - or you could grab a plain black pair and paint them with your own designs. I have this spiked pair and this pink pair, both Demonia, and I love them a lot.

Unlike the majority of sandal designs aimed at Goths, baseball boots don't look out of place on men, either.

Again, this style of shoe is widely available on the high street; look for PVC toe caps at Topshop and black lace-ups with an inch-high platform for only £12.99, currently available in New Look.

Mary-Janes
Mary-Jane shoes have long been a staple of Gothic fashion. Again, Demonia have some cute styles with skulls, and I love this steampunk-inspired design, but TUK are undoubtedly the reigning champions of Mary-Janes fit for Emily Strange. I will always be crazy about their Kitty shoes.

13 comments:

xxxx little darkling xxxx said...

Aaaaaaahhhh TUK!!! My drama teacher has beautiful TUK shoes, black and blue dead teddies! I am currently coverting a pair of red and black (with bats!) vampire teddy ones.... And yes, living in England has its perks! I can wear my knee length lace up boots ALL year long! And replying to a post AAAAGGGGEEESSS ago, I have managed to combine mainstream and goth, a major challenge. You know when gillets and stuff were in fashion in about January? I did an outfit, deep purple gillet, black hoodie, black t shirt, black cords and my black knee length lace up boots.

BlacKat said...

This hits just as I've been whining to my friends about the challenge of finding shoes! I don't own a car, so getting about involves a lot of walking in hot weather. Which means no heels, no platforms, and nothing that might slide off. My black mary janes are my friend, but they're several years old and starting to wear.

Anonymous said...

I don't care what *anyone* says-I love my flip-flops. I live in SoCal, and they're convenient and comfortable (once you get used to wearing them). My Summer "look" leans more Boho-Goth, so the overall aesthetic is cohesive. Also on days I'm just running errands or hanging out, I wear them with a pair of leggings & t-shirt, or lounge pants. I'm too old to be a slave to fashion...

Bored_Homeschooler said...

Ah,footwear,another reason why I hate the summer. But in reality,I pretty much wear the same shoes year round.(I'll keep wearing my suede boots until they're torn away from my cold,dead hands..)

Moonkill said...

I, too, find the 'nearly naked' foot somewhat ulgar as well. Everyone thinks that makes me a bit strange. At least I'm not alone.

Sarah Silence said...

I have a pair of platform black demonia flip-flops with little metal skulls on the straps. I don't often wear them because the straps of any sort of sandal or flip-flop tend to rub blisters on my feet, and I actually wouldn't have bought mine at all it I had not started tattooing my feet.

Most of the time I wear my boots all year long, despite the suffocating southern U.S. heat. I don have a pair of shorter Victorian-style booties, so their not as bad as giant combat boots I guess.

Stefanie said...

Also with you about hating bare feet. Also I get eczema between my toes which makes the toe posts on flip-flops unsuitable. And I have flat feet so most sandals don't give enough support. Therefore in summer I stick to Converse or Vans. I actually just got a new pair of bright green Vans :D very Goth I know XD

BallerinaDark said...

There are a lot of cute sandals and gothy flip flops for the summer. I'm deeply against wearing boots in summer..it's too hot and it's not good for your feet.



B-Dark

gothicdivinemagazine.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Fishnets look awesome with some sandals, but wearing tights in the summer can get warm. Get them wet! As they dry, the evaporation will keep you cool. If it get a very hot out though, it might be better just to not wear them, as they'll dry too quickly to be really practical.

Bridget said...

I'm trying to build an Ice Goth wardrobe for summer, and I've discovered that it's very hard to find white shoes that aren't flip-flops, high heels, or platforms.

DarkAngelCase said...

Love Converse and Mary-Janes (which I am looking around for at the moment). But the whole flip-flop thing, I just don't know why people wear them...

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't get the whole Converse thing. I wear flip-flops in Summer, as they form my whole Boho-Goth aesthetic, and it gets *very* hot where I live, so I've had to adapt. As for Converse, I have never worn a pair of athletic shoes apart from engaging in sports. Athletic shoes should not be worn as regular street shoes.

Just so you know, your comment came off very offensive. Yes, I stated that I think athletic shoes as fashion is tacky, but I was willing to keep opinion to myself, until I read yours...

Amy Asphodel said...

Anon - please bear in mind, I have comment moderation so DarkAngelCase may not have seen your comment before she posted her own, I doubt she was intending to be offensive.

(To be nitpicky, Converse would make rubbish athletic shoes as they have no support for the arch of the foot. I didn't realise they were intended for actual sport?)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...