THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Concert: Dreams Divide, AlterRed and The Cruxshadows, Talking Heads, Southampton, 24.7.12

Before I launch into this post, a heartfelt plea: if anyone was at this gig and has any photos of the crazy dancing on stage that went on at the end of the night, please drop me a line! My camera had long since died...

I went to this show with my friend Rosemarie, my other half Dan, and my mum. Well, she's a huge Cruxshadows fan so it would have been pretty rude to just leave her at home. ;-) My manager, being awesome, agreed for me to leave work early so that we girls could get all dolled up.








In the car on the way to Talking Heads:

And who should we meet at the venue but the gorgeous and charming Louise of The Cat's Aunt, who we pretty much adopted for the evening, hogging our little corner of the dance floor like some unholy trinity.

I do believe that some music was played at some point during the evening! Ah yes...

Dreams Divide
Best. Local. Band. Period. I didn't know these guys were playing but they are regulars at the Talking Heads so I suppose I should have known. This is the third time I've seen them now and their current material is not getting old yet. As energetic as ever and they always seem to be having a whale of a time, getting the audience whipped up. They were especially frenetic last night; the vocalist was pinging back and forth across the room like he was trapped in a pingball machine. Great fun to watch, great to dance to - I really should get my act together and buy their album.

AlterRed
Hmm. I had heard one of this band's tracks previously on a compilation and wasn't overly enamoured, but I found them better live. However I wouldn't consider myself a fan; they were a little bit all over the place, each track seemed somewhat unconnected to the one before it, and sandwiched between Dreams Divide and The Cruxshadows they didn't seem to fit. Their songs were interesting and probably darker and less 'dancy' than anything else on display that evening, which really was the problem - we were psyched up to dance, not sit and listen in a thoughtful manner.

I did quite enjoy them; probably better than any of my friends as comments bandied around by the others included 'no beat' and 'totally pants'.

Oddly, they had a girl on stage wearing a mask who we assumed was going to dance or give some kind of performance, but she just... stood there. The whole time. I think she changed position once during one of the last tracks of their set, but otherwise she just remained frozen in place, which was just slightly unsettling. I'm not really sure what the point was, but I hope there was some back story involved, not, "Hey, let's just make this lass stand awkwardly in the corner and stare creepily at everyone." :-S

The Cruxshadows
Everything about this performance reminded me why the Cruxshadows are my favourite band. I did bump into Rogue between sets but only managed to gawp at him stupidly... d'oh. I did, however, say hello and get a hug at the end of the night, as did everyone who joined the stage invasion.

I was quite impressed by much of the band's new material (the album is out in August), although they are still taking a noticeably dancier, less 'gothy' direction than in their earlier days. Luckily, being crowd-pleasers, they still played all of the old favourites, classics and dancefloor-fillers, which means, yes, I FINALLY got to hear Winterborn live.

Rogue was up to his usual antics of wandering about in the crowd, and for a long time he was right next to me, which was pretty awesome (excuse my hopeless fangirling). The audience interaction techniques worked extremely well in such an intimate venue with a quite a small crowd.











It may have been the smallest, sweatiest gig known to mankind but it was also quite possibly the best I have ever had the pleasure of attending. The Cruxshadows' live show is definitely a must-see for any fan, I cannot imagine them ever disappointing. In case I haven't already mentioned it (ha ha), during the very last song (Marilyn, My Bitterness), Rogue was pulling people out of the crowd onto the stage until there were more of us up there than there were down on the dance floor. It was absolutely amazing, I probably danced like a total twonk but it was such a great experience that I really don't care. In fact, I want to do it again!

17 comments:

Alexandriaweb said...

We have them up north on Friday, I'm really looking forward to it, The Cruxshadows are lovely people who make great music :)

Eric said...

I saw them in 2005 and had a great time.

The only bad part of their show was that Rogue kept telling long, boring stories between songs. People were getting annoyed haha.

Did they do that when you saw them? Looks like it was an awesome show.

Platinum Dragon said...

Didn't know you were a Cr├╝xshadows fan. This is the
original band. I'm in the middle. I wrote the guitar
to "Marilyn." They seem to have closed every show with
it for the last 12 years :-)

Anonymous said...

Totally drove past this while everyone was waiting outside.

ZeroNovember said...

Whilst I didn't make that gig, it seemed like it was great.

I have known Dave (the singer from Dreams Divide) for years and he is lovely. I was in a band with him 10 years ago (nothing like DD though!)

BellaDonna said...

Cruxshadows. Rogue. LIVE. I AM SO JEALOUS...

If I didn't already think you are fun and awesome, I would probably have to hate you now. Consider yourself very fortunate... ;-)

Clementine Dahling said...

How were the Talking Heads? I only ask because my dad and my boyfriend are big fans...

Jaime said...

Oh, I am so envious, I'd love to see The Cruxshadows in concert!! I actually met them outside of our one and only Tampa goth club, and Rogue was so nice, he pulled everyone out of the van to take a picture with me. He said, "If you want pictures with the whole band, you'll GET the whole band!" Such a sweetheart! :3

AsylumAlice said...

You all look so cute! I really love your hair! And that sounds like the most fun night ever...Rogue's hair will never cease to make me smile. I've heard he's really nice too!

Anonymous said...

this is somewhat unrelated but I was looking at your list of alt bands and noticed that you didn't have cruella de ville there.

Daniel_8964 said...

Seems like you had a awesome time, Amy! Speaking about the Cruxshadows, I know a DJ who's with them on their tour at the moment and is referred as Jonthegoth. Have you heard of him before? I have met him only once when I was at the Gotham Festival in London last December.

Amy Asphodel said...

Clementine - Talking Heads was the name of the venue. ;-)

Daniel - no, I haven't heard of him.

Anonymous - there are a lot of bands I don't have on the list. Every time I try to update the page at the moment it freezes my computer, I guess because the list is rather long? Anyway, noted, and I will try to add your suggestion soon. :-) Thanks!

Amy Asphodel said...

Platinum Dragon - holy shit. Ohmigod. Elope with me right now, dammit.

Drive-By-Anon - really? Haha, say hi next time ;-D

BellaDonna - *salutes*

Eric - no, thankfully! I would have found that hilarious, to be honest!

Jaime - d'awww, that is awesome! <3

Alice - cheers, hun :-3

ZeroNovember - no way! Heh, I have all these talented musicians reading my blog and I never knew! *dies of awesome*

Alexandriaweb - Have a great time!!!!

Platinum Dragon said...

Amy, that's quite an offer! You're such a doll! :-)

Dani DeathBiscuit said...

So jealous! :o

Anonymous said...

@Clementine At first glance I too thought the Talking Heads were in the lineup too. xD

Anonymous said...

Dunno if there are dance pictures you are looking for, but the whole tour has been documented here: https://www.facebook.com/CruxshadowsEurope2012

Lots of pictures from each day of the tour! Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I hope they tour in the US soon.

--Kallie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...