THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday, 16 July 2012

Five books I'm loving right now

Source
  1. God Save the Queen by Kate Locke - I picked this up because of the front cover and thankfully was not disappointed! A paranormal novel with vampires aplenty set in a modern-day London - well, sort of. What modern-day London would be if Queen Victoria had been an immortal vampire and had held the throne for, oh, a hundred years or so, and the entire aristocracy consisted of vampires and werewolves. Corsets and bloomers abound, and when I was about halfway through I noticed all the Emilie Autumn-esque references and flicked to the acknowledgements, where EA's album Opheliac is credited as a major inspiration for the book. In other words, Emilie Autumn with vampires. You can probably guess why I dig it. ;-)
  2. Classy: Exceptional Advice for the Extremely Modern Lady by Derek Blasberg - Whilst I don't agree with some of what Mr. Blasberg has to say, on the whole I was pleasantly surprised by this guide to the minefield of modern etiquette. With tips on how to handle every situation from travelling to dinner parties with grace and ease, as well as the occasional nod to Goths and a rather pleasing attitude towards tattooed women, this was an enjoyable read. Although I will be cheerfully ignoring large sections from the fashion-related chapters...
  3. The Vampire Shrink by Lynda Hilburn - My mum chose this book for me based on the title; I have a tendency to collect vampire books with vaguely ridiculous titles, the sillier the better. Actually less cheesy than most vampire romances with a far more relatable heroine than the fluffy fillies of Mills&Boon Nocturne (for example). However there are some seriously cringey erotic moments - a particularly wince-inducing line about breasts for example - so brace yourself.
  4. How to Walk in High Heels: The Girl's Guide to Everything by Camilla Morton - Aimed at the everyday fashionista, I was pleased to discover that this book contained more than a tip or two which will come in extremely useful in the life of the more, ah, morbidly inclined kind of gal. Walking in impractical shoes is something that most black-clad babes will probably need to master, for starters. Written with a kind of breezy wit, I enjoyed this so much I'm going to buy the sequel, A Year In High Heels, which contains such chapter titles as How To Customise Your T-Shirt for Glastonbury - Or Glyndebourne, How To Dress Burlesque and How To Throw A Masked Ball.
  5. The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King - I find King's books very hit and miss, but this story about a girl lost in the woods is one of my favourites from him. Exciting, chilling and so suspenseful I read it in one sitting. King's ability to write an entire novel focused with such intensity on a single character is a powerful skill.

8 comments:

AsylumAlice said...

Yay! Book recommendations! I must go check out...I must...wait, I have too many books I still have to read. I shall file some of these titles away for later use!

MissGreenEyes said...

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is one of my favourite Stephen King books too. Cheers for the suggestion at number 3, I gave up on the M&B Nocturne a while ago!

Fae said...

Those seem like good books. I`m going to have to go see if I can get one of them from my library. I really like the sound of 'The Vampire Shrink' and 'God Save The Queen.' :)

On another note (if you could help me.) My mother, is letting me get a corset. r a suitable corest dress. But I am a bit embarrassed to buy one from Spencer`s Gifts. Because there in the "sexy" part of the shop. What do I do? I`m also having a hard time trying to find a gothic corset dress but its not to "over the top." So, could anyone help me? Please and Thank you. :)

Mindless-Antagonist said...

Now I'm going to have to check out those books! Some of them sound really good; that one on modern etiquette in particular, since I have the manners of a pig. Aah, but I'm broke... and already have WAY too many books... FML. Must wait until Christmas.

And this is completely unrelated to the post - but I was wondering if you could somehow do a post on or give me some basic pointers for using irony in in Goth fashion... as that is an asset I've really been wanting to try, but have absolutely no idea where to begin with. For example, I have a Tweety Bird shirt that's light pink, but have never been able to pull off wearing it with anything - and the same case for about half of my closet. Pretty much any non-Gothy colors or logos, etc. have been shoved to the back because I just have no clue how to wear them. Any advice? :3 Thanks~

Also, (another completely random subject shift, I know) I'd like to add that I credit you as the one who gave me the courage to get into Goth in the first place! Your 'Scared to Go Goth' post gave me just the extra little shove I needed in the right direction!

Well, ahem. That was a rather long and rambling comment... I'll just shut up now.

Anonymous said...

Stephen King's books are like that, aren't they? I liked the The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon because I thought his trademark ambiguity worked better with the scenario, where it was very likely she was just hallucinating, than in any of his other novels.

I first heard about God Save the Queen on the blog Fangs For The Fantasy, where there was a bit of snarking about how the book is set in London but the girl on the cover is obviously brandishing a gun, which you simply cannot do over there (and it will probably get you arrested here in the US too). Your review makes me want to check it out though.

Loupie said...

I read How to Walk in High Heels years ago when I found it second hand and thought I'd give it a shot. I had been thinking of reading the sequel for a while. You'll have to let us know if it is any good.

V said...

Have you tried The Eyes of the Dragon Amy? That's a Stephen King one you might like Xxxx:)

Caroline Carnivorous said...

Oooo!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...