So once again I have been neglecting to post little gossip snippets at the end of my posts. I thought I would do another round-up for those of you who don't haunt my newsfeed. ;-)
- You may remember that a while ago I posted about the horrendous attack on two Goths travelling on a tram. The lady who suffered a broken eye socket has been identified as Melody McDermott, 22. The bastards responsible have been captured thanks to CCTV and sentenced to six years and two years respectively for grevious bodily harm with intent and assault causing actual bodily harm.
- Who'd have thought, an Adam Sandler movie that actually interests me (not a fan). Hotel Transylvania looks like it's going to be dripping with cheese and bad vampire jokes, but frankly that's just what I love for a night in with popcorn (previous night-in favourites being Vampires Suck!, Lesbian Vampire Killers and Dracula: Dead and Loving It). Oh, and the protagonist is Dracula's daughter, a cute little Goth girl who can transform into a bat. D'aww.
- Regular commentor here on Stripy Tights..., fellow blogger (SpookyUniversity) and all-round adorable badass akumaxkami now has an e-book available for download, entitled Anything But Monochrome. Yes, I am intending to download it soon! (Oh, and if I may indulge in an itsy-bitsy spot of shameless ego-stroking, I have a few as well, although I don't recommend anybody actually READ them because I wrote them for FUN in my teens and they are fairly terrible, right down to a cringeworthy sex scene or two. Perhaps someday I shall post the best of the worst quotes from my own 'novels' for your entertainment, although I will be crying inside... >.<)
- The Hobgoblin pub in Camden, formerly known as the Dev (short for the Devonshire Arms) and much-beloved for its' Goths-only dress code, is up on the market.
- Marilyn Manson fan and opera 'prodigy' Andrew de Leon sadly lost out in America's Got Talent.
|Andrew de Leon performing on AGT|
- Teenagers descibed as 'Goth' were charged with arson after setting a mill on fire in Douglasville. Which was fairly stupid, since they were lighting fires around the place whilst inside it, using aerosol cans to get high... :-/
- In Islington, London, a group of Goth women have created a new branch of the Women's Insitute, which they have called the Gothic Valley WI. Activities include making an applique bat cupcake which - get this - adorned a flag that was presented to the Queen for her jubilee.
- A photography book by Forrest Black and Amelia G, documenting the Californian deathrock scene - aptly called California Deathrock - is now underway after reaching its funding target on Kickstarter.
- Goth rap? Could it actually happen? "The Denver hip-hop trio BLKHRTS is seeing that some people are having a hard time trying to classify the type of music they make. The music is dark and aggressive and influenced by industrial and punk rock like Joy Division and The Misfits. The trio, which consists of Yonnas Abraham, King FOE and Karma tha Voice, dress in all black, give menacing looks from the stage, and when the music drops, go crazy. One writer called their style “goth rap.” “We are not Marilyn Manson,” Yonnas says. “The term ‘goth’ means a million things to a million different people, but I think that to me, it’s a culture and it’s definitely been able to describe my aesthetics, which is the dark and the beautiful, the romantic and also the macabre. But I think those things have been explored before. I think Wu-Tang is goth rap, I think Gravediggaz is the prototypical goth-rap group. So I read it in articles and people say that about my music, I’m like, ‘Oh wow.’”" (Read more.)