THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Olympic torch

Just time for a quick update!

As you probably know the Olympics are being held in London this year, and the Olympic torch passed through my hometown today! As it went right up the high street and past the shop where I work, we were granted permission to do a street collection on behalf of our charity.

We were told to expect torrential rain but instead we had wall-to-wall sunshine. My feet were roasting in my New Rocks (I wore my red and black ones to co-ordinate with my official tabard, of course!) and my make-up was melting, but it was a lovely afternoon spent in the sunshine. A policeman complimented me on my footwear and I had my photo taken by a stranger (who didn't ask permission... which never fails to irritate. I thought he was trying to take a photo of something behind me and ducked out of the way, but he followed me with his cameraphone. :-/).

OK, so I'm not hugely interested in the Olympic games themselves, but I was glad to be there for something that will probably only take place once in my lifetime. The torch whizzed past in about fifteen seconds flat, not even enough time to take a photo, and we didn't even see who was carrying it, but there was a lot of good cheer and we raised a lot of money.

Now to check on my (possible) sunburn!

12 comments:

SkeleDuck said...

I missed the torch - I was at work... In fact, the torch passing through meant I had to start work at 6am rather than 7.30am. XD

Thanks for supporting my favourite charity today!

MissGreenEyes said...

Glad you had some nice sunshine for it! I hate when strangers try to take photos at events like that, really annoying! Well done on raising the money.

xxxx little darkling xxxx said...

The torch came my hometown about 3 weeks ago, but there was a giant storm!!! Lightning, torrential rain, thunder, there was a fire at thorntons and water started pouring out of a light at costa coffee. Brick wall fell over, some of b and q got flooded, cars damaged and numerous house floodings and struck-by-lightning-trees. I was OUTSIDE WAITING FOR THE TORCH TO COME!!!!!! And, obviously, I had forgotten my umbrella. Huh. When the torch finally arrived (late), it stopped raining and went all sunny for the rest of the afternoon. Oh joy.

xxxx little darkling xxxx said...

Forgot to say..... You work in British heart foundation? I got a tiny mini top hat from my local BHF!! And I'm not hugely interested in the olympics, but as you said, momentus event. But the torch went past so quick!

Gothica Gothique Goth Blog said...

I just got up from France -- which I found surprisingly cool for summertime -- to Scotland which is so awfully cold I had to buy a jacket and wear it around my room to keep warm. Glad to hear the sun was out somewhere in Europe!

Grissino said...

A policeman complimented me on my footwear?
LOL! :-)

Daniel_8964 said...

Seems like you enjoyed yourself taking part in helping out raising some money, even the olympics isn't entirely your thing. I don't like the olympics myself, but hey that's just my opinion. :)

Amaranth Darkwraith said...

That must have been SOOO exciting! I wish I could have seen it live! I'm not that into the Games either, but to be a part of something like that must have been fascinating!
I'm sorry about the weirdo who took your picture! I really hate when people do that, especially because I have a feeling they aren't just doing it because I'm Goth, but because I'm a Goth of Colour (I'm of Indian descent, and people in America are not so good about either Indians or Goths, so...yeah...) and they've NEVER seen a member of THAT species before!! o.O *rolls eyes*

Amy Asphodel said...

xxxx little darkling xxxx - I do indeed! I also have the mini hat, in two different colours :-3

Anonymous said...

i saw someone on my fb who looked just like you! i thought it was you but she lives in canada haha

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/396751_10151040377757188_1824724245_n.jpg

TwistedRomantic said...

This is unrelated, but I just wanted to share with you! I was on facebook when Kerli posted these Goth Barbies http://kerli-barbiegonebad.buzznet.com/user/photos/barbie-gone-bad-goth-barbies/?id=68253806#id=68253806 Thoughts? I personally used to modify my Barbies as a child, and got little fabrics and customized them into clothes :) I was a dark child

xxxx little darkling xxxx said...

I was going to get the purple and grey ones, but I forgot my money......

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...