THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, 26 August 2012

It's a Goth Life: Sentimental value

You know ages ago I posted a photo of my room in the hope it might help motivate me to tidy up? Well, not so much. Here's my room this week:

Pretty bad, huh? But I did make a start on tidying, beginning with emptying out my suitcase of sentimental items and deciding which could go now and which I still love and need to hang on to. For some reason I felt like sharing some of these items with you guys.

Firstly, my Tribe T-shirt! The Tribe, along with My Little Pony, pretty much WAS my childhood, so much so that when I re-discovered it in my early teens I had to get myself a custom-printed Tribe T-shirt. I know I will never wear it again, not least because of the missing apostrophe, so I am getting rid of it. But my Tribe box sets are staying. End of.

This handbag was one of my first gifts from Dan when we started going out, back in.... 2004? Thereabouts, anyway. It was £18 from a local alternative clothing shop and I remember being shocked that a handbag could cost so much (we live and learn, eh?). Definitely keeping this; I still use it from time to time as the bright colours do contrast nicely with black clothes, and I still adore the buttons.
This is a very crinkled tie-dye T-shirt that I made myself at an arts and crafts camp when I was fourteen (shortly before I got into Goth culture. In fact, the friends I made at that camp were very into rock music and emo style, which was the path that led me to metal music and from there into Goth). 
These flared cords were the first item of clothing I ever saved up and bought for myself. I think I was about ten or eleven. They came from the same shop as the button handbag, which also sold beautiful Raven and Laughing Vampire dresses and had BEGoth dolls in the window (incidentally, the second item I ever saved up and bought for myself, during the same era, was a BEGoth doll). The flares were £28 (and yes, I was very much into bright colours when I was young!). I've often considered making them into a skirt or pair of shorts as they are too short for me now but can't bear to risk ruining them. I love them because they are kind of a symbol to me of my unconventional taste, even in childhood! It didn't occur to me that they might look weird or that other people might not like them - I just loved them, and wanted to wear them.

This is my first band T-shirt. I think I might have posted this before actually! Dad took me to see Roxy Music when I was just a little bit. Still love them. :-)

This was my first 'corset'. My mum made it for me out of an old top. It's very faded now and looking rather the worse for wear, so I have sadly decided to retire it. :-(
On the plus side, corset box is nice and tidy now.

This is a hat that I knitted myself. It was originally going to be a handbag.
This was the result of about two and a half hours' tidying:

Yeah, I still have quite a ways to go!

Oh, and here is a pic of me with just foundation/eyebrows/mascara that I took before an exercise class I went to that same day. My bestie Jodie has just gotten her Fitness League instructor's license and it was her first ever class. :-)
I'M BATMAN
So, erm, anyway. What about you guys? What sentimental items are you hoarding in your wardrobes?

19 comments:

Insomniac's Attic said...

Well, I hoard all my vintage clothes, but I actually wish I'd saved more of them and not just the few I did! What I didn't save was the very first pair of bell-bottoms that I paid for myself at age 13 - Red, White & Blue Stars and Stripes hip-huggers. Gah! ;o)

Anonymous said...

I just moved a couple of weeks ago, so I had to get rid of quite a bit. Over the past 10 years, or so, I've been steadily "downsizing", and I've been getting rid of alot of old dresses that I *know* I'll never get into again. However, as I now have a daughter, I have kept a *few* things, that are still in *really* good condition, just in case she decides she wants them at a later date.

Most of what I got rid of were vintage velvet dresses, that were reminiscent of Wednesday Addams, that were my "signature" style in High School. I've since "graduated" to a more sophisticated style, and as the dresses were from the 60s-70s, they likely wouldn't hold up too much longer, anyway. Those were probably the most painful to give up, as they were from the time I started to take goth seriously, and forged my own aesthetic. I did keep a couple, though...

Julietslace said...

My prom dress and shoes, I'll never wear them again. I occasionally get them out the box and stroke them though.

I have got to admit that I said FOOK SAKE out loud when I saw how messy your room was! Mine is a box room so I obsessively clear out and clean.

Amy Asphodel said...

You FOOK SAKE'd me?! Cheeky XP

Nebel Finsternis Violet said...

I hate when these items are piling up... they hold nothing and yet so much. I have a lot of sentimental accessories and letters/ gift cards from people I am no longer in touch with.
Still remembering something from the past you not so like is difficult for me

Mary Rose said...

I'm currently cleaning out my room so that my folks can use it while I'm off at college and am kind of amazed at all the sentimental stuff I'm finding and at how hard it's going to be to get rid of some of it...guess I'd better get started, haha.

K said...

I feel your pain, I've been decluttering my room for nearly a year and only now do I feel like I'm beginning get anywhere. It's obscenely satifying to see progress though.
You're going to Whitby, right? Why not sell some stuff you don't want anymore at the Whitby bring and buy stall? Gives you some extra booze money and 10% of it goes towards a charity for bats conservation.

Oh, and I have a blog reccomendation! http://unfuckyourhabitat.tumblr.com/
Seriously, it's awesome.

K said...

Gah, wasn't thinking and submitted before I could finish it. :(

I just sold a bunch of old band shirts on eBay from when I was 14/15. Even though I don't listen to any of the bands anymore and haven't worn the shirts in at least 6 years I can't help but feel like I've just thrown away a load of memories of my teenage years (not entirely a bad thing but still...), quite a few of them were bought when I saw the bands live.
I hope the people who have them now appreciate them.

Amy Asphodel said...

K - what a good idea! Thanks XD

App'y said...

I still have the tee shirt I bought at the first festival I went to. Futurama 2 in 1980 at Leeds Queens Hall. I will never be able to get in it again but……………

linnea-maria said...

Oh I've been collecting and saving my old clothes from youth and my beloved vintage clothes. But I store them in boxes. I look through them sometimes and get rid of the things I'm sure I'll never like or will be nostalgic about. It's not easy to keep things in their right place in a small space.

Kreepette said...

Any tips for those who are a mix of beatnik and goth?

Lady Zendra of Noran said...

I hoard all my boots, I very rarely get rid of any of my shoes. I also hoard purses and gloves. :) I use one of the closet cubbies that hang from the top of the closet to organize.

Laura Morrigan said...

omg! The Tribe! I never saw it as a kid, I don;t know if it was on TV then, but I know it was very popular in Europe! I discovered it a few years ago, it really influenced my style, and I really loved the show, but I missed a lot of episodes. I love Lex and Ebony's style, and Eagle in season 3!

Dani DeathBiscuit said...

Aw man! I just moved house 2 weeks ago :P

My room is pretty bad right now. It's basically just "OH WHERE'S
------?" -moves pile of clothes from corner to floor, searches and finds, puts pile back-

It's terrible. I've already gotten 4 bin bags full of clothes I'm giving away to charity shops.

So much stuff... I can't help but me a shopaholic D:

Stefanie said...

I hoard bags. I buy them rarely use some then can't get rid of them because I like them too much. My pink and black checkered bag with skulls on and the red spiderweb bag with skull applique and chain both from Claire's are good examples. I don't use them very often because they're oddly shaped (the pink one is rounded and the red one is long and wide but has no support) but I like them too much to get rid of.

Unfortunately as a day to day thing I need huge bags because I carry so much around. Water, lunch, at least 2 books, phone, purse etc. I ought to do a What's in my bag? post sometime...

Another thing I tend to hang on to is clothes that don't fit but that is a good thing since lately I've lost a bit of weight (a lot more still to go) and things are fitting better or almost fitting.

Ray X said...

Ughh my bedroom gets so bad at times that I just go sleep on the sofa! I love DIY so I all my life I've hoarded little fabric scraps, ribbons buttons, and clothes that I swear to God I'm going to fix up someday. I just recently cleaned my room and I'm really going to try to keep it spiffy. I say that every time though...

Leena said...

Oh my goddess! I need to have that The Tribe shirt mmm <33

Jade Layton said...

I was abit overwhelmed after seeing your bedroom, my room is normally pretty messy but seeing as its a box room i have to clean up once a week or i go a little crazy haha, as for sentimental items, over the past year or so i've been ruthless and thrown stuff away because I just dont wear it or use it anymore

However, I have kept a death kitty skirt with pink tutu underneath (which I bought when I was about 14 and havent worn for a few years) because it was my first ever "goth skirt" and I remember how extremely excited I was about purchasing it haha :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...